This has been one of my go to desserts almost every summer. Anytime I am having a BBQ at my house, I usually make this.
It is so light and super easy to put together. The longest time you will spend on this is waiting for the cake to cool after it’s done baking.
Trust me it may seem like a lot of steps but every step is simple.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream – very cold
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese – room temperature (through trial & error I’ve discovered other brands don’t work as well for this)
- 1 box vanilla pudding mix
- Generous amount of raspberries, strawberries and blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8 x 11 pan
- Prepare the cake mixture – mix 1 cup whole milk, oil, and eggs. Pour cake mixture into greased pan and get that baby in the oven. Like I said this is the longest part but still easy. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Let the cake fully cool.
- Prepare the vanilla pudding mixture – mix in the 3 cups of whole milk and put it in the fridge to set. I usually let it set the entire time the cake is baking.
- Make whipped cream – This only takes about 5 minutes so leave this for the very end once the cake has cooled & the pudding has set. Using a very cold metal mixing bowl and hand mixer on medium to low setting (I usually put the mixing bowl and hand mixer attachments in the freezer while I’m getting the cake & pudding together) begin to whip the heavy cream until it has the consistency of whipped cream. You’ll know when it’s the right consistency when firm peaks form. The peaks should hold their form but still be soft. Be careful not to over mix past this point or the consistency will change and it won’t really be whipped cream anymore.
- With the mixer on the slowest setting, mix in the powdered sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract.
- Take the pudding and mix in the cream cheese and 1 cup of the whipped cream.
- Start layering – Cut the cake into squares and layer the bottom of the trifle dish, then add a layer of pudding, add a layer of berries – get creative use which ever berries you prefer – I used blueberries, then start over with another layer of cake. Once you reach the top, layer the rest of the whipped cream and top with berries – again have fun & be creative!
Serve & enjoy!