Mornings are rough around here. I envy those people, like my husband – insert eye roll, who wake up early and are ready to seize the day. That is just not me and never will be, I am night person through and through. Oh, how I miss the days of sleeping past noon but this whole adulting thing kind of ruined that. So to get going in the mornings, besides coffee, I need a filling breakfast. Waking up hungry and going to work hungry is no fun. I have a few go-to easy breakfasts I like to put together before I run out the door and smoothies are one of them. No matter how many smoothie recipes I put together, I always go back to the same one. It’s my best breakfast smoothie ever!
Ingredients (makes two servings)
- Handful of frozen spinach
- Half a frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen mixed berries – strawberry, raspberry, & blackberry
- 2 tbsp organic powdered peanut butter
- 2 tbsp organic rolled oats
- 1 tbsp organic chia seeds
- 1 packet or scoop of vanilla Shakeology
- 1 1/2 cup organic almond milk
- Blend the spinach with a splash of the almond milk first. It helps to break down the spinach, so there are no chunks. I promise you won’t taste the spinach at all!
- Toss in everything else and blend up well.
- Pour into a cute cup, glass or mug and drink up! I usually use my to go cups that came with my Ninja blender, or I pour my smoothie into a cold coffee cup.
I use all frozen fruits & spinach because it keeps the smoothie nice and cold. Ice doesn’t need to be added, so there is no watering down of the smoothie. The powdered peanut butter, rolled oats, & chia seeds help keep me full until lunch time. I like adding Shakeology to my smoothies for all the added vitamins and nutrients, and the vanilla flavor isn’t too strong and overpowering. You can always replace with your favorite protein or meal replacement powder.
What is your favorite type of smoothie?
Looking for more smoothie recipes? Take a look at this pumpkin pie smoothie.